Being the Change: Transformative Professional and Leadership Development for Credible Messengers
Despite having undergone a transformation that allows them make incredible contributions to communities they once harmed, credible messengers often experience a unique set of internal and external challenges including poverty, racism, PTSD, and various forms of social trauma. Because professional development typically fails to account for the entire life of youth, communities, and youth workers, it also fails to address these unique circumstances experienced by credible messengers. To address the particular professional development needs of credible messengers, this training is rooted in an approach to professional development that develops credible messengers from the inside out, supporting them in transforming themselves and their workplaces, as well as developing skills to more effectively do their jobs.
At the end of this training, participants will be able to:
1. Articulate the historical development and nature of community based violence and mass incarceration.
2. Identify and understand their role in shaping the workplace environment and in workplace and personal life conflicts.
3. Understand how they impact others directly and indirectly, both at work and in their personal lives.
4. Identify their unique capacity to shape the world around them, their relationships, their communities, and influence those they serve.
5. Identify how their unique capacity to shape the world also gives them specific contributions to make to their work and communities.